Weight loss is a process that takes time, effort and a lot of willpower. Losing weight is not a fast process, it’s not easy and it’s not a lot of fun either, but if it’s done the right way, it’s going to be efficient. And the right, efficient way is the healthy way.
The secret to a healthy and fit body is good nutrition because it has an essential role in the whole weight loss process. There are many fancy diets out there that promise a slim body in no time. However, most of them suggest eliminating certain groups of foods that are essential to our bodies so the results will always be the same: the “yo-yo” effect or worse, illness. In order to lose weight and maintain ourselves fit and healthy, we will need a balanced diet.
A balanced diet is, as Wikipedia defines it, one that helps maintain or improve general health. The World Health Organization itself recommends we make use of all the nutrients that are found in different foods. There are 6 of them:
Each of these nutrients is important and to explain why, let’s take a closer look:
- Protein is important because it helps build muscles, bones, cartilage, skin and blood. They also help transport essential elements in the blood stream.
- Carbohydrates are the main source of energy for the body. Without carbs, the body won’t be able to sustain the daily physical and mental activities.
- Fats are very important too, despite the fact that they are associated with obesity. The fat in foods helps our body absorb vitamins, it helps regulate the body temperature, it provides the body with energy and helps store the extra energy and some fats also play an important part in brain development.
- Vitamins are needed for growth, energy, body functions, tissue repair and more. All in all, vitamins are essential to regulate important body functions.
- Minerals are, like vitamins, essential for some of the body’s functions. They help build strong bones and blood, they help with the nerve function, help build muscle and are overall needed to maintain our bodies healthy.
- Water is important because it helps carry nutrients to body cells, it helps flushing toxins out of our bodies, it helps maintain muscle tone and it lubricates the joints.
So you see, each nutrient plays a part in our well being. A healthy diet plan should include all of these nutrients because each and every one of them plays an important role in our health.
Proper nutrition is the key to healthy weight loss. Being healthy is, in the end, what’s important. Calorie count and exercise may be the perfect combination, but you have to know how to cut down calories the smart way. By including all of the essential nutrients in your daily diet, you’ll not only stay healthy through the entire weight loss process, but you’ll have the energy and will needed to continue until you will reach your goal.